New Year’s Resolutions can be good and bad. Some times if you set too lofty a goal, you will be defeated before you start, so make them realistic goals.
Of course, the biggest New Year’s Resolution is to lose weight. SO, with New Year’s landing on Thursday this weekend might have been difficult to start a change. Tomorrow is Monday and a great time to get started.
First thing to do is to set a schedule for your meals. Eat 3 meals a day at regular times...Breakfast no later than 8:00 a.m.; Lunch no later than 1:00 p.m. and Dinner no later than 7:00 p.m. Keep them at the same time each day. Make an appointment for yourself to eat your meals. People who eat breakfast have a better chance of losing weight. When you eat lunch later than 1:00 p.m., your blood sugar will have dropped so much, you will eat anything, usually unhealthy treats, to get your blood sugar up quickly. Finishing dinner at least 3 hours prior to bedtime will help your body digest your food so your body can clean and repair itself at night. If you need a snack between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner…go ahead.
Here are some little changes you can make with your meals that can make a difference.
1. Substitute mustard for mayo on your sandwiches;
2. Use a vinaigrette instead of a cream-based salad dressing on your salads;
3. Add whole grains to your meals. Use brown rice instead of white, whole grain bread instead of white and whole wheat or grain pasta instead of white.
4. Substitute plant-based protein such as beans, tofu, tempeh or seitan for animal protein in your meals. Have a few meals a week that are meatless;
5. Substitute water or tea for soda, diet soda or carbonated drinks;
6. Add leafy greens to your meals or soups;
7. Read labels!!! The fewer ingredients the better!
8. Start cooking your own meals!! You can control what is in your meals then.
9. Do not weigh yourself everyday! If you want to start with a number…fine. But only weight once a month. Otherwise, a number can make you crazy! If it is a good number…you eat more! If it is a bad number…you eat more!!
10. If you go off the wagon for a meal…don’t punish yourself and throw in the towel altogether…just get back on it! Every meal is a new opportunity to make a better choice!
Focus on healthy food and eating habits and the weight will come off! Perhaps this year will be YOUR year!!