Thanksgiving is the only holiday where food is the number one focus. Everyone looks forward to the traditional dishes they have eaten since childhood. But you can make little changes to your family favorites without losing the integrity or taste of the dishes!
- Substitute olive oil for the butter, lard or bacon fat in your stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes or sauteed vegetables;
- Use the reserve cooking water to thin out your mashed potatoes instead of cream, milk or butter and add a bit of olive oil instead. You will never know the difference;
- Substitute vegetable broth or water instead of chicken or beef broth in your soups or stuffing;
- Roasting vegetables is a great way to get your family to eat them. Roasting brings out the carbohydrates and are very satisfying;
- Add sweet vegetables such as squash, sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips to your meals to help curb your sweet tooth;
- Start your holiday meal with butternut squash soup. It is a nice start to a meal because it helps relax you and improves your digestion. You don’t need to use cream in soup. Water or vegetable stock.
- Substitute soy, almond or rice milk instead of milk or cream.
These are easy substitutions that will spare you extra calories, saturated fat and cholesterol. You can still have all of your family favorites and enjoy Thanksgiving without feeling that you have blown your diet. Remember, if you did indulge, just get back on track the next day. Don’t beat yourself up! Every meal is a new opportunity to make a better choice! Happy Thanksgiving! (Check out the recipes I have posted on this website.)