These are so delicious, NO ONE will know there is no butter, cream or milk in these potatoes!
2 pounds, Yukon Gold potatoes – washed and diced (skins on if they are organic, otherwise peel them)
1 cup, onions- sliced in half moons
chives, sliced finely for a garnish
Method for Cooking Potatoes:
1. Put potatoes in large saucepan, cover with cold water and add ½ – 1 Tbsp. sea salt, bring to boil. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Drain potatoes in colander over a large measuring cup to reserve cooking water.
3. Put potatoes back in hot pan, mash with potato masher and gradually add reserved cooking water to desired texture. Add a drizzle of olive oil, 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Since the cooking water was salted, taste prior to adding additional salt. Add additional seasoning if needed.
If you do not want to top with caramelized onions, just garnish with chives and serve. If you do, recipe is below.
Note: You can always add horseradish or roasted garlic to mashed potatoes for a different flavor.
Method to Caramelize Onions:
1. In a large skillet, heat 2-3 Tbsps. olive oil, add onions with pinch of sea salt. Saute 2- 3 minutes.
2. Lower flame and sauté slowly until golden brown, stirring occasionally, approximately 20 minutes.