I used to love the traditional marshmallow and sweet potato dish. But instead of marshmallows, why not maple-coated pecans! Meet my new favorite Thanksgiving sweet potato dish. Hopefully, this will be yours too!
2 lbs. garnet yams, peeled & sliced into ¼ inch slices
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled & cored and thinly sliced
20 dried natural or Turkish apricots, rinsed
1 cup apple juice, not from concentrate
maple syrup (optional)
1 cup pecans, toasted & roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees. Lightly coat 8×8 baking dish with oil (if you double this recipe, use 13x9x2 baking dish)
2. Pour maple syrup in small bowl and with pastry brush, lightly brush maple syrup on top- side of each yam slice.
3. Cover bottom of baking dish with one layer of yams, arranging slices in 4 overlapping rows, like roof tiles. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over yams.
4. Cover yams with apple slices, then apricots. Cover apricots with another layer of maple-syrup coated yams. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Pour apple juice gently down side of baking dish. Cover with foil, bake 40 minutes.
6. In small bowl, coat pecans with maple syrup. After 40 minutes, uncover yams and spread nuts on top. Bake 15 minutes uncovered.
7. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.