This is a great dish to make for an entree if you are having Vegans or Vegetarians over for dinner. Lentils have a lot of fiber and protein and are delicious and easy to make.
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2- 2 1/2 cups water per cup of lentils
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. Soy Sauce (Tamari if guests have gluten issues)
1. Prior to cooking, pour lentils on a plate, sort through and discard any debris or damaged lentils. Then wash lentils.
2. In a heavy lid pot, layer the onions, carrots and then lentils. Add water until it just covers the top of the lentils.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 35 minutes or until the lentils are 80% done (take a lentil and squeeze to determine how soft it is). Add sea salt, gently mix into lentils, cover and cook 5-7 minutes; then add the soy sauce and cook another 5 minutes.
4. At this point, taste for seasoning. If more is needed, add it and let cook into the dish another 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid left, continue to cook the lentils with the cover off.