Instead of the traditional green bean casserole, I thought I would give you a recipe that is much healthier and can be served to Vegans & Vegetarians at your Thanksgiving dinner this year. It is delicious.
- 1 pound green beans, stems trimmed and beans cut in half
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 shallot, sliced into 1/4-inch-thin rings
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- First, you need to blanch the green beans. Fill a large pot with water and add a pinch of sea salt, bring to a boil and add green beans. When their color is the brightest, approximately 30-45 seconds, remove from water and as much excess water as possible and place on a plate to cool.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-2 Tbsps. olive oil, add the shallots with a pinch of sea salt and saute 1-2 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, stirring occasionally until they release their water and become brown.
- Add green beans back to the skillet along with a bit more olive oil if needed, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and saute 1-2 minutes. Taste before you add additional seasoning. Then add if needed. You are cooking just to heat up the green beans. They should still be a bit crunchy.