This recipe can be a bit time consuming, but it is worth it. If you have guests that are gluten free, use this crust recipe because it’s made with almond and walnut flours and is delicious! You can put anything into the crust. If you can’t find berries, you can always just use the almond cream and drizzle melted chocolate on top. The filling can be made ahead of time.
Ingredients for Crust:
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup walnut flour, (1 cup walnuts processed in food processor)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsps. safflower oil
- 2 Tbsps. brown rice syrup or maple syru
1. Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and combine together using a fork.
3. Wet fingers and press mixture into a tart or pie pan.
4. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before filling.
Ingredients for Almond Cream Filling:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½-1 cup water
- ½ tsp. almond or vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
- pinch of sea salt
Cream Filling Method:
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Fill water in a pot, bring to boil with a pinch of sea salt. Add almonds and blanch 3-4 minutes.
2. Remove almonds and rinse with cool water. Remove almond skins by either popping them out with your hands or rolling them in a kitchen towel.
3. Spread almonds on cookie sheet, bake 10 minutes.
4. Gently warm apple juice, almond or vanilla extract, brown rice syrup and sea salt on a low flame.
5. Put a little of the juice mixture into the blender, before adding the almonds. Start to blend. Gradually add juice mixture until you achieve a thick cream-like filling consistency. If you need more liquid to reach desired consistency, gradually add water.
6. Refrigerate filling prior to using.
- 1 small container of strawberries (sliced thinly)
- 1 Tbsp. strawberry jam, warmed in a saucepan
- 1 cup toasted, sliced almonds
1. Spread almond cream filling in crust, arrange fruit on top. With a pastry brush, lightly spread warmed jam onto fruit.
2. Garnish tart with toasted almonds.
Note: you can use blueberries, raspberries etc. whatever is seasonal